terça-feira, julho 03, 2007

A CRÍTICA QUE EU GOSTAVA DE TER ESCRITO


The Mission - God is a bullet


1) Still Deep Waters

Has any Mission album ever started with a slow song before?Nope, don`t think so. I already liked the instrumental versionof it because of its more or less oriental feel and the mysticalatmosphere created by the excellent guitar playing and sound. Forthe album I was expecting this song becomingway more anthemic and BIG towards the end like TOS.Did not happen. They have done that before. Lyrically this oneis not too surprising. Another love song, okay. But still5 stars in my I-tunes. Do you know another band that can soundlike this? If so, tell me.

5 Stars


2) Keep It In The Family

That`s a popsong, so what? It`s a good one.Way too good for the radio obviously.Five stars. Basta!

5 stars


3) Belladonna

Hm,yo, that might be the one that is a little closer to 4 stars. I don`t know why. I don`t get into it so easily.But still. 5 stars. Its good enough and doesn`t disturbon the album. If the whole album would sound like that I wouldn`t like it that much I guess cause that would be too far away from the traditional sound and too less experimental at the same time. Understand?And I`m a little indifferent about the lyric. Maybe I`ll have to read it again...

4/5 stars


4) To Love And To Kill With The Very Same Hand

Ah! Here they manage to even increase the quality.Very good chorus and very good uuuhhhs in the background. And still it doesn`t sound like standard Mission. And what Springy plays sounds kinda complicated, I don`tknow if it is. Time will tell if this one becomes a classic. I think there`s a good chance.


5) Aquarius & Gemini

We have noticed that uncle Wayne`s singing has become better and better over the years. Or maybe it`s just the improvement of studio technology. :-D First time I was realising a very big improvement was in Shine Like The Stars and Mesmerised. This track here reminds me a little of Severina although it`s quite different, maybe it`s just the mood of the song or because Julianne`s voice is in it too. If there`s one thing on this record that is actually even better than on GOM,it`s Wayne`s vocal performance. We can hear it in every songbut especially in this one. One of the best ballads they have evermade. Five stars, baby!



6) Blush

Maybe my English isn`t that bad. Cause I understood the double meaning of that track the first time I heard it completely. A little trickier variaton of what seems to be one of Mr. Hussey`s favorite theme`s. And a funnier one too. We`ve heard about the lover with the flexible tongue before. :) I like funny songs. Does anybody here know Far Away Eyes or Some Girls by The Stones, some jokes never get old. And again here we can hear what I call a brilliant vocal performance. 2nd single? Good decision.Five stars.


7) Chinese Burn

Err....???..o-kaaay... that might be a completely madeup story otherwise I would say uncle Wayne shares a lot of privacy here. Now that I know what a chinese burn is I think that`s a good metaphor.Threesome, okay. But what I surely wouldn`t needfor that is another MAN! And I certainly do not have the wisdom yet to not ripp off themens`s heads who may dare to touch my girl in certain ways. Or maybe, wait, does it say it is a man in that song? Maybe it`sa lesbian girl... that could be more interesting... :) Anyway in the end that`s a good song. I like the guitars although here we hear that oldriff of that old song Valentine again. They seem to like that a lot cause if I`m right that is the third timeit`s been used after The Light That Pours from You. Five stars


8) Father

Yo, I like that one too. The acoustic guitar sounds a little countryesque too me but thesound of it as a whole doesn`t really remind me of Johnny Cash, sorry. There`s a lot of typical Mish style going on in the background and it`s a good song. I believe there aren`t a lotof people around that would write songs about such things. John Lennon might have if he wasn`t in the heavens already. This certainly is one of the best songs on the album.Five stars.


9) HDSHRINKEREA

The bridge between this song and the previous is really beautiful. And I would have preferedit if the startpoint of this track herewould be a little earlier so the introof this track would be even mor beautiful if one listenes to it seperately. :-/Ah, the intro, that one is made for the less open minded Mission fans I believe. Sounds like an extended Deliverance intro at first. But it`s more worked out and adds a certain elegance to it. As I`ve stated before, I have no problem with The Mission sounding like The Mission. Also I have had similar experiences like that one told in the song so it`s not just blah blah to me.Five stars.


10) Draped In Red

Thank God! The singer isn`t a Manu fan! Actually I`m not that interested in soccer althoug hit`s always nice to see our national teamwinning against the English one so I`m not completely indifferent. I`ve been told that some Italian families certainly will not like this song. When I listen to it I don`t think a lot about soccer, I just go for the melodyand that`s a good one. And it`s nice to hear some violins in a Mission song again. Also I think most soccer songs are completely shite music wise so this one might be the best ever. Five stars


10) Running With Scissors

I knew the Japanese version, Sacrifice, before. This one provides one of the best riffs on this record. I now wonder if the Japanese version provides the same lyrics only in Japanese ??Ye I like The Mission sounding like The Mission. Five Stars

11) In Silhouette
Drums a little auraesque in the beginning, breathemein-esque synthsounds and a lot more going on all at once, damn I need better headphones. No doubt, this one deserves five too.


12) Dumb

Thanks Mark for the gift of this riff! It`s a shame that some people obviously are too def to hearthe sheer genious and musicality that went into the music on this record. This song has the "take you far far away" - quality of the best Mission songs like The Crystal Ocean or Over The Hills And Far Away which was sadly missed in a lot of Mishsongs over the years.While the lyric is pretty down to earth. :) I´ve asked this before but didn`t get an answer yet.If hatred is a too valuable emotion to waste it on that person whose name we will never know, why did you waste such a beautiful piece of music on that person Wayne? If that person wasn`t too dumb to know that this song is about her or him, he or sheactually might thank you for this song. :)Right now I get a crazy idea. Maybe Dumb actually is a looooove song.;-)Anyway this is probably my favorite track on the album, so... ten stars out of five


14) Absolution

Ah one of the few occasions where Mr. Hussey makes a political statement. And this one is very correct I think as Hymn For America has been before. A lot of artists make statements like this these days unfortunately our leaders, who think they are clever enough to decide what`s good for us do not seem to listen. I would like to hear such a clear message by Bono too,well maybe on the next record. He had a chance to realise by now that he doesn`t get the help for Africa he demands, by shaking the hands of mass murderers, I think. Can a song change the world? Nope, but it can change the world in me. Now guess who said that..... Also I`m pretty sure that Absolution will become a live fav because of it`s really strong chorus and the great classic mission tunes that accompany it. Really good drumming too. 5 stars.


15) Grotesque

Hey, I have reduced the amount of meat I eat too!I don`t want to look like a pig so I very very rarely eat pork. I also do not eat a lot of cows. But I`m afraid some of birds, fish and some crabs lost their lives to nearish me, cause I like the way they taste. Also that`s just the way life goes on this planet. Animals eat animals. And sometimes people get eaten by animals too. Those animals certainly don`t care about the feelings of their food. But I believe that isn`t the point of the song, its the ugly way we treat the animals that become our food. Another reason why I eat less and less meat. Cause industrial meat production is just disgusting. But really if you wanna stop that, fight capitalism first. Yeah, and the music is great. Very nice string arrangement there, more than a little beatleesque this one is and the most gothic atmosphere that can be found on this non gothic album. Simons solo is very cool and doesn`t sound standard at all too.I always like it when the song seems to be played and sung heartfelt so this one is great too.But one question remains unanswered. Do plants have feelings too??:)


Normally, I would have to wait for the new Smashing Pumpkins record which will come out in a few days I think, and NIN`s Year Zero is very good too, but for nowI think GIAB is the record of the year.
PS - Esta crítica foi escrita por Zing a propósito do último CD dos The Mission, GOd is a bullet. E foi a mais engraçada que vi até agora. Genial. My congratulations!

1 comentário:

Anónimo disse...

E agora em português?